My explorations of medieval and not-so-medieval crafts, particularly tablet weaving and other ways of playing with string. Weaving, twining, wire knitting, sewing and more! I plan to include both the progress of my projects and the progress of my research into the history of various patterns and techniques.

Sunday, September 5, 2010

String, Yay!

Why I'm starting this blog: I noticed that my blog about life, targeted at my friends, was getting increasingly taken over by string. I also noticed that other people's weaving blogs, fiber arts blogs, archaeology blogs etc that I was reading were typically more focused. So I decided it was time to have a blog of my own about the tablet weaving, inkle weaving, twining, wire weaving, luceting, and so on that gets me so excited. I'll probably throw in related stuff like my ongoing quest to research early medieval textiles and material culture from the region later to be known as Scotland.

As you may have guessed, I do reenactment and SCA. I also happen to be a scholar of medieval and Renaissance literature. As fiber arts do not in fact fall under literary studies, I don't consider myself an expert in this field. However, I do know something about what does and doesn't constitute good research, so when I'm guessing or when I'm doing something that there's no evidence for or scant evidence for, I'll say so.

If you have any questions, send me a message. I'm friendly, I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment